Monday, May 27, 2024

Heat vs. 76ers: Predictions, picks, odds for Tuesday’s NBA Play-In Tournament game

Must read

play

After the Western Conference began with the NBA play-in tournament on Tuesday night, the Eastern Conference’s matchups are set for Wednesday.

The Philadelphia 76ers will host the Miami Heat in a game to decide the No. 7 seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs. The loser will play the winner of the other Wednesday night game – Atlanta Hawks vs. Chicago Bulls – for the No. 8 seed in the conference.

Philadelphia has been hot since the return of reigning NBA MVP Joel Embiid, having not lost a game since he came back from a knee injury. Had he stayed healthy, they likely would have avoided the play-in tournament altogether.

Miami finished off the regular season strong by winning three of their final four games. The Heat were here one year prior, eventually earning the No. 8 seed and advancing all the way to the NBA Finals with the help of star forward Jimmy Butler.

Here’s what to know about the first game in the East half of the NBA play-in tournament.

2024 NBA play-in tournament: What Jeff Zillgitt is watching, TV schedule, predictions

Heat vs. 76ers predictions

The Oklahoman: 76ers 102, Heat 97

Justin Martinez writes, “Miami often makes people look foolish for picking against it in the postseason, but I’ll take that risk. Philadelphia once again looks like one of the best teams in the league with Embiid back in the mix. And while the Heat shouldn’t be counted out, it’s hard to trust a team that ranks 26th in the NBA in points per game (110.1) to keep up with the scoring duo of Embiid and Tyrese Maxey.”

The Sporting News: The 76ers will win the No. 7 seed

Kyle Irving writes, “Philadelphia didn’t lose a single game after Embiid returned. He picked up right where he left off, averaging 30.4 points, 9.2 rebounds, 5.2 assists, 1.4 steals and 1.2 blocks in the five games he played. He also handled a semi-regular workload, averaging 30.5 minutes played in those games. With Embiid back and relatively healthy, the 76ers will take care of business against the Heat.”

ESPN: 76ers hold slight edge in first round of play-in

A model from ESPN Analytics gives Philadelphia a 56.3% chance to win the East’s No. 7 seed on Wednesday night. The same model leaves the heat with a 43.7% chance to pull off an upset and advance to the playoffs.

NBA play-in tournament: How postseason format works: Brackets, schedule and history

Heat vs. 76ers: Odds and lines for NBA play-in tournament

The 76ers are favored to defeat the Heat in Wednesday’s play-in tournament game according to the BetMGM NBA odds. Looking to wager? Check out the best mobile sports betting apps offering sports betting promos in 2024.

Odds listed as of Tuesday.

  • Spread: 76ers (-4.5)
  • Moneyline: 76ers (-200); Heat (+165)
  • Over/under: 208.5

Play-in game matchups, schedule, TV, times

Wednesday

No. 8 Miami at No. 7 Philadelphia, ESPN, 7 p.m. ET

  • Winner is the No. 7 seed against No. 2 New York in an East first-round series

No. 10 Atlanta at No. 9 Chicago, ESPN, 9:30 p.m. ET

Friday

Loser of Miami-Philadelphia vs. winner of Atlanta-Chicago, ESPN, Time TBD

  • Winner is the No. 8 seed against No. 1 Boston in an East first-round series

Loser of Los Angeles Lakers-Pelicans vs. winner of Golden-State Sacramento, TNT, Time TBD

  • Winner is the No. 8 seed against No. 1 Oklahoma City in a West first-round series

How to watch: Catch all play-in tournament games with a subscription to fuboTV

We occasionally recommend interesting products and services. If you make a purchase by clicking one of the links, we may earn an affiliate fee. USA TODAY Network newsrooms operate independently, and this doesn’t influence our coverage.

Gannett may earn revenue from sports betting operators for audience referrals to betting services. Sports betting operators have no influence over nor are any such revenues in any way dependent on or linked to the newsrooms or news coverage. Terms apply, see operator site for Terms and Conditions. If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, help is available. Call the National Council on Problem Gambling 24/7 at 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ, OH), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS-OFF (IA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN). Must be 21 or older to gamble. Sports betting and gambling are not legal in all locations. Be sure to comply with laws applicable where you reside.

Latest article